Sunday, December 9, 2007

Instruction headaches

My problem is that when I work from a pattern there are terms i don't understand. I have been knitting for about thee quarters of a year and I am getting some techniques but these terms that people just toss into the instructions are killing me. They may not mean anything.

My proposal, and I bet I'm not the first to have this idea, is that anyone putting instructions out into the public domain run the instructions by a person at the lowest level of familiarity with the operation. This goes for assembling tricycles, for cooking perhaps, but definitely for knitting.

My specific problem at the moment is Eunny Jang's anemoi mittens. They are really splendid. I am knitting them and, as usual, am learning a lot. My problem is that I keep coming across expressions I am unfamiliar with. They are not defined in the glossary.

1. "Begin working mitten body chart (first four chart rows should be worked as slip-stitch rounds; use only one strand of specified yarn)."

The first five words I understand perfectly. The term "slip-stitch round" I am unfamiliar with. I put it out at the circle on Saturday and no one had the slightest idea what it meant. Yes we all know what slip stitches are. What is a slip stitch round? One of the knitters suggested I ignore the term and just knit. "Use only one strand of specified yarn." What? What is she saying? I'd feel stupider I hadn't asked all the knitters what she meant. I just ignored this and kept knitting.

Fine. I got past it and knitted a couple of dozen rows. Now:

2. "Slip 25 thumb gore sts between markers to scrap yarn."

Sorry. I think I know how to slip stitches, and yes I have 25 between the markers and if she really wants me to slip them I will, but what does "to scrap yarn"mean?

This is not a pattern reserved for 10-year veterans, at least according to the terms of the pattern. "This pattern is a good project for knitters comfortable with colorwork in the round."


Comfortable with colorwork in the round describes me to a T.


Google pretty much gives me all these references to scrap yarn and what to do with my scrap yarn. I don't think that's what this pattern has in mind; if it does I'm even more in the dark.


I'll put it aside again until Saturday and see if anyone else can figure this out.


In the meantime I'm just making some slippers on a little nothing cable thing of my own devising. I pull them out whet I get to a wall.

No comments: