Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Hats, Ducks and Cows

My friend Amy asked me if I could knit a hat and a pair of socks for each of her little ones. She has two toddlers.

Hmmmm, let me think. I could sit and watch Daily Show reruns, or . . . .


Yeah, I think I could manage that. I am, as someone at my office might say, tray excited.


I am a huge fan of malapropisms, by the way. I knew someone once who complained that she couldn’t get some gizmo to fit where it was supposed to go, so the thought she would just hit it with a mallard.

Along these same lines, a hospital nurse once explained to us in my mom's hospital room that they would be taking my mom down to the O.R. on a guernsey.

The beautiful thing especially about these barnyard malapropisms is the images they evoke. My siblings and I, needless to say, were unable to make eye contact while the nurse remained in the room. I, for one, didn’t know who would have objected more, my mom, the guernsey, or the hospital custodial staff.

Back to the hats. I have been so busy trying to fly down the knitting highway that I’ve never even bothered with a hat. So this will be a great opportunity to show a little style. Not a lot, but some. I’m thinking of just putting a little cable or braid pattern in there.

--------------------------

Clotted cream?

While we’re talking about guernseys, I have spent the last few days, or part of them, trying to track down some clotted cream. I am taking a little cream tea in to the knitting group on Saturday and clotted cream is necessary to do it right.

Unfortunately, the grocery stores in this area seem to be a little confused. I’m not talking about Food Lion and Winn-Dixie here. This is Earth Fare, Harris Teeter and the Fresh Market. Not one employee, including the managers, I talked to in those stores had ever heard of clotted cream. I don’t expect all of these stores to have it in stock, but I guess I did expect one of them to have an employee somewhere who had heard of it.

Too bad, too sad.

I went to a cooking class at Rabbit & Co. last night and Katy, the owner, said she had some clotted cream. So now I have some. So now my knitting group will have some. Come on over and have some.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I've heard of clotted cream but I have no idea where you could but it. Good luck on that. Loved the malopropsms.....oh I can't spell but you know what I mean. Awesome blog!

Missy said...

you had me snorting with laughter over the guernsy comment...thanks! And the biscuits and clotted cream look scrumptious!