Sunday, November 11, 2007

It's been too long

Too long since I had babies I guess. Amy's toddler hats were not quite as easy as I thought they'd be. Actually I had fun knitting and the first hat turned out to look very pretty, but it turned out to be a better fit for Amy's baby's baby than for Amy's baby, if you know what I mean.

So Amy and I ended up going through her house looking for hats that were too big and too little for them so I could get kind of a size palette. I have started on the one for the little boy, then I'm going to do the little girl's again, bigger this time. It wasn't a gauge problem, exactly; I just went by an estimate of their head size instead of a measurement and I was way off.

The pattern is really simple -- I'm doing it with worsted weight Encore on 24" US 8 round needles. This time around I'm casting on 96 stitches. k2 p2 around for the ribbing -- I'm doing 10 rows, then 2 rows k, just to make a little flip easy. Then it's K6 p2 around -- so it's a multiple of 8, which is how I came up with 96. Last time I did a 6-stitch cable every 12 rows on the 6 k stitches, but I think this time I'm doing cables every other section.

Amy loved the cables. I said I could do it without but she said no she really liked them. So I'm doing cables on both hats -- just really simple ones.

I'm getting a camera of my own on Monday -- so now I don't have to wait to borrow one. Soon I'll be posting lots of pics. I hope.


If I didn't mention it before, I sent Amy down to the store to pick out and buy the yarn. When she came back she said the place is "EVIL," which is Amy's way of saying it was all she could do to get out without buying half the store. And she isn't even a knitter, she just hooks.

No comments: