Tuesday, October 16, 2007

In an Old House in Paris

I'm about to go knit, but I thought I'd show the madeleines I made, before and after. Yeah, I'm proud of the fact that they almost disappeared, I guess.








You'll notice that the brie, tomatoes and grapes did not nearly so much excite the public imagination. I will concede, though, that the wine was equally popular.

The occasion was a cast-off swap and local hospice fundraiser. Last year it was for the battered women's shelter. The idea is that all the women bring accessories (there were even some shoes this year) they don't want. Some people last night brought bags and bags. The suff has to be in good condition. No rule about ugly.

The items are arranged on tables and other horizontal surfaces. About 70% is usually earrings, bracelets and necklaces. Guests are assigned a color and then colors are drawn by lot -- people of that color get 5 minutes to pick 5 items. Then the next color goes.

At then end of the night somebody from the nonprofit organization gives a little talk and some or most of the party goers write a check. All the stuff that nobody takes goes to the nonprofit's thrift store. In the end everybody's happy, mostly the people who got rid of a whole bucketful of jewelry and belts they don't think much of any more.

2 comments:

TECHknitter said...

What a nice idea (the baked goods and the event)!

moonspot 月点 said...

Why thank you Techknitter. I look at your blog every day.