Tuesday, October 23, 2007

You Better Watch Out




I have put The Sweater aside. It was taking over my life, and I learned to knit not only to be able to do beautiful things in wool but to enjoy myself doing so. So I'm taking a break.




For fun I switched over to the Christmas stocking I decided to knit for my son's girlfriend. She'll be here at some point on Christmas day and it will be fun for her to have this.



One of the beautiful things about this project is that it is almost entirely of my own design. Yes, I knitted a baby blanket for a friend (her first baby, now almost a month old) and it was by first journey into the land of cables, and in a sense i designed that myself but, after all, it was just knits and purls and a few cable needles.



This stocking has color patterns in red, green and white and her name knitted in. Though it's nothing in the long run, it's something for me; it's my second project in two colors and my first where the whole color scheme is mine. There are already trees and presents knitted in and there will be wreaths and other stuff too before it's done.


I'm only sorry that my mother never saw me knit. Hearing the click of her needles is one of my most comforting childhood memories. Ten years or so before she died she knitted stockings something like this (only mine are in the round) for my kids, and some time in the 50's her mother did the same for my siblings and me.


Pics of the stocking in progress soon.

No comments: