Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Kind of September


It's come back to me now: not every knitting project takes three months to complete. There is the occasional sock or scarf that can be done in a few days. This Christmas stocking I started yesterday is going to be finished in a few nights; certainly a week or less, and not necessarily sucking up every spare minute. I'll get back to The Sweater in not too long and it will be about half done already.

One of the reasons the stocking is going so fast is that I'm using chunky yarn and huge (for me) needles -- US #8s.

Giving me time to look forward to, and even attend, SAFF. Can't wait. I live about 10-15 miles away; my daughter, in college, is the same distance from Rhinebeck.

"Coincidence?" I ask, in the ritual formula.

"There are no coincidences," she replies slyly.


---------------


" . . . gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speak
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."


Henry V reminds us of the honor of having a pike driven through one's eye and out the back of the head, and other glories of war.


Happy St. Crispin's day, October 25.

No comments: