Friday, October 19, 2007

Tiny Needles Make Me Warm All Over


A well-known novel describes a minor character this way: "He thinks less than he talks, and slower; yet he can see through a brick wall in time." The brick wall I’ve been looking at for the last few months is that with these small needles (I’m knitting the sweater on US #5s with US #3s for the ribbing) I’m trading warmth for speed. I knit as much as the next person, and more than many, at least many who have outside full-time employment, and yet they all seem to be finishing projects in far shorter time than I am.

I know I don’t have as much experience as most of them, but there is a point at which I have to think I’m not THAT much slower a knitter, on average, than they are.

The brick wall I’m seeing through is that there may be at least two sweaters’ worth of wool in the one I’m doing now. Worsted weight, two colors I’m carrying all the way through, and #5 needles. That’s a lot of wool, and I can feel it when I pick this up to knit it. It’s getting heavy. So I suppose that the reason this sweater is taking twice as long as I expected is all this wool.

That also means, I hope, that it will be a lot warmer when winter comes.


Progress picture on the next post. In the "on the needles" section on the right I tend to be conservative (a novel position for me) in my progress estimate.

No comments: