Saturday, October 27, 2007

SAFF Saturday

I went to my friends' house to take them the last jar of last year's honey. I still have a lot of this year's left though. I started talking to Amy, who is a rug hooker, about hooking. I told Amy I was going back to the fair. Amy told me that she had never heard of SAFF. We decided she and her toddlers would come out there with me.

Amy was really awestruck. She was fascinated. Her mom knits and quilts and crafts generally, but it was all new to Amy.

"Do you want to learn to spin? And dye?" she wanted to know as we walked back up the steps and past some spinners.

"One thing at a time. I'm just learning to knit and the more I learn the more I realize there is to learn. When I'm here I want to learn to spin, but I know I have to learn more about knitting before I go any further."

We both obviously were dazzled, though, even by the beginning spinners and the beautiful yarn they were turning out.

The kids loved the alpacas, but especially the bunnies. Lots and lots of bunnies, but not too many.

I'm sorry to say that something must have happened to the camera, or else that the alpacas were so ugly that they did something to it. Admittedly, I can't tell the pretty alpacas from the ugly ones. You look at the photo and tell me.

------------------------
How ardently we admire and love Jane Austen

I just read on Two Chix that Masterpiece Theatre will be airing a Jane Austathon beginning in January. This is, as the Chix point out, good news. One reason for this is that one can in certain cases knit and take in the show simultaneously without being put to the trouble of actually looking at the screen.

I don't know how it is at your place, but there's nobody here who doesn't know the Ehle/Firth version of Pride and Prejudice line for line. Watching the show is merely a confirmation of the pictures we are already forming in our brains when we hear the dialogue.

The reverse but equal pleasure will be the apparently new versions of several of these teleplays. I am particularly looking forward to Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility.

I believe we shall all be excessively diverted.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I hadn't heard that! Will look forward to it (hope it'll be in my neck of the woods too).